Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chili 'n' Biscuits/Cat Puke


I made some black bean chili yesterday from a recipe in "La Dolce Vegan." It was appealing to me because it called for apple juice. My sister sent me a Martha Stewart recipe card for Cornmeal Biscuits so I whipped up some of those. Today I went to the flea market and ate some grilled corn on the cob. When I got back home, I found that the cat had puked on my sandals.

Sherri's Black Bean Chili (from La Dolce Vegan)

1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 T olive oil
1- 3.8 oz. can green chilies
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1- 19 oz. can black beans
1 C water or veg stock
1- 5.5 oz. can tomato paste
1 C apple juice (a good quality organic one)
1/4 C Basmati rice
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp salt


In a large saucepan on medium heat, saute the onions in oil until translucent. Add the red peppers and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the water, juice, oregano, cumin, salt, cayenne, and green chilies. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomato paste, and rice. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is done, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in the cilantro and serve. Makes 4 servings.



3 comments:

ally. said...

i love love love the picture! you gernished it!

ally. said...

so the biscuits were good? i love the color of them. a subtle yellow........

ally. said...

i can't wait until you come down this weekend! give me a call soon!